Both ends of the Charles Bridge are fortified by towers called the Lesser Town Bridge Tower and the Old Town Bridge Tower. The Charles Bridge is 515 meters long and 10 meters wide. The initial idea was to build a functional construction for knight tournaments, and the only decoration on the bridge was a simple crucifix. From 1683 to 1928, thirty sculptures and sculptural groups of the saints were gradually set on the bridge piers. The oldest is of John of Nepomuk.